Monday, June 3, 2024

New top story on Hacker News: Show HN: Brioche – A new Nix-like package manager

Show HN: Brioche – A new Nix-like package manager
22 by kylewlacy | 0 comments on Hacker News.
This is a project I've wanted to write for a long time now. I really love the ideas from Nix and I still have a ton of respect for the project, but Nix-the-language never felt intuitive to me and I wanted something with more approachable tooling (although this was circa 2016, so I'm sure Nix has improved a lot since then too-- that was before Flakes were around!) Anyway, I started on the current iteration of Brioche about 6 months ago, and I finally cut an initial release. I'd still consider this a "technical preview" version (performance especially is pretty painful, so that'll be a focus of mine in the coming weeks). But it's finally at a point where it does work end-to-end and folks can take it for a test drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment